Notifications
Clear all

hercules inpulse 500 questions

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
hello all.
first of all this may not be the correct forum to ask this so if not, let me know and ill move it (or moderators, please move it if required!).
i do not yet have a dj controller, i am in the process of deciding on which to purchase so this are pre-purchase questions. i am comparing the hercules dj control inpulse 500 against 2 pioneer controllers and in doing so i have a couple of questions.
1) i came across this video by carlo atentido (

that describes how to adjust the crossfader cut off in pioneers rekordbox software (the software screen is about 7:18 in the video) to improve scratching. i then saw this video by djbooth (

or around 4:55) that demos the inpulse 500 having a fair bit of lag between moving the fader and the sound coming in. this is the only video ive seen make mention of this and indeed, others seem to give praise for the fader and scratching itself. carlo atentido is a self-professed scratch nerd and didnt complain about this in his video of the 500 and mr sonny james does a lot of scratching on the 500 in his video for academix. so im wondering if it could be a) not that much of an issue or not too noticeable, b) maybe a faulty unit in the djbooth review, c) it is adjustable and the dj booth guy just didnt know how (he was using serato lite i believe in the video) or d) maybe it was something to do with serato lite?

can anyone who owns a 500 test this out by any chance?
2) in this video,

(from 5:25 if the time doesnt load) it mentiones that with djuced, the eq controls are not total kill whereas with serato pro they are. can this behaviour be changed somehow in djuced? the manual seems to suggest they can be ( https://www.djuced.com/user-manual/#3-band-equalizer-2), but the inpulse 500 doesnt seem to do it in djuced according to that video. ive been unable to find additional videos that demo this unfortunately.

thats it (for now!). thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide on these 2 queries!

Hello Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I try to avoid comparing Hercules instruments with competitors on the forum, so I will not comment Carlo Atentido's videos on Pioneer.

A) To scratch, there are 2 different settings

1) ASIO Buffer
In Windows (no such setting in macOS), it is the ASIO buffer size, you set it in Hercules DJ Control Panel

The larger the ASIO buffer size, the lower the CPU usage but the bigger the latency: the best for scratching is a small ASIO buffer, but it requires a stronger computer than a large ASIO buffer. Hercules latency by default is huge (16ms), but you can set it as small as your computer can support it. Going to 4ms is OK on decent computers, going lower as 2 or 1ms requires a really optimized computer. This buffer setting is not included in macOS as macOS is always perfectly optimised. 

2) Crossfader curve
DJControl Inpulse 500 has 3-position switch close from the crossfader to set a scratch or a mix curve.

3) Another setting, not relevant at this level of controller: the crossfader itself
On scratch oriented mixer, you can change the crossfader to use a scratch oriented crossfader as Innofader Mini. This is not relevant for this level of DJ controller as you cannot change the crossfader on DJControl Inpulse 500 or on other controllers in this price level. I had a discussion on this with a DJ called Johannes on this forum and you can see him on DJControl Inpulse 500 on his facebook account 

B) Regarding Carlo Atendido's video, I have no idea whether, when he did the video, he had actually a latency or whether the latency is the result of audio/video sync in postproduction. It is not due to Serato DJ Lite as it has not more latency than Serato DJ Pro: Lite has less features and settings, but the same latency as Pro.

C) Regarding EQ knob setting, is it software related: Djuced does not kill the frequency on EQ knobs, while Serato kills the Frequency on EQ knobs. What you read on Djuced manual does not mean the EQ knobs kill the frequency, it means Djuced has a separate Kill keys close from EQ knobs on the graphic interface, it is not related to the DJ controller.

Topic starter

Hello 'User Experience Team' and thank you for the response, I appreciate it!

It was not my intention to get you to comment on a competitor, it's just I could not find a better way of explaining the question than just showing it via those 2 videos. I think I may contact the DJBooth channel and see if they still have their 500 and ask them if they used the ASIO drivers. Like I said, I have not seen any mention of the crossfader suffering a delay on any of the other videos I have watched on the 500 (and I have watched a lot lately...!!!).

Thanks for the clarification on DJuced - I saw that option you mention in C) but of course, a button in software is not as readily accessible as something on the controller so I wondered if perhaps the DJuced software could be 'tweaked' in some way to change the behaviour. It's not a massive deal breaker for me anyway, it was just something I picked up on in one of the many videos I have seen this past week or 2.

Thank you again for the information 🙂

Hello Tony,

Using Serato with Inpulse 500 requires installing the ASIO drivers. Serato supports WASAPI drivers for DJ controllers which have no  ASIO drivers, but if a DJ controller has ASIO drivers, Serato requires it, as it is better.

I talked to Djuced team of setting EQ knobs on isolator mode and they told me they will try to implement it in a future Djuced version. They do not recommend tweaking with the kill button (mapping a Kill function on the end of the EQ knob as they fear it may cause a small audio glitch), so better to wait for the Djuced EQ isolator mapping.

Topic starter

Hello User experence Team one cuastion the control pulse 500 it can corsfater 

Topic starter

Hello Tony,

Using Serato with Inpulse 500 requires installing the ASIO drivers. Serato supports WASAPI drivers for DJ controllers which have no  ASIO drivers, but if a DJ controller has ASIO drivers, Serato requires it, as it is better.

I talked to Djuced team of setting EQ knobs on isolator mode and they told me they will try to implement it in a future Djuced version. They do not recommend tweaking with the kill button (mapping a Kill function on the end of the EQ knob as they fear it may cause a small audio glitch), so better to wait for the Djuced EQ isolator mapping.

Thanks again for your help, and especially for suggesting that to the dev team. I think it's something that is of a benefit to people, so if it was an option (e.g. to set it to total kill or keep it as default) then it would only improve the usability of the software.

Quick edit - in your original reply you mention the member 'Johannes'. I have seen the discussion you had regarding the crossfader (I did it in Google translate, as my high school French lessons are 20+ years old now!) and wondered what was the suggestion you were sharing via direct message? As it involved the crossfader may it also be of interest to me?

Hello Tony, 

I can send you the same information via direct message, please accept my invitation on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/ .
I send it in direct message and not in the forum since the calibration process I suggest is not public.

Topic starter

Hello Tony, 

I can send you the same information via direct message, please accept my invitation on  https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/friends/ .
I send it in direct message and not in the forum since the calibration process I suggest is not public.

Understood - done!

Topic starter

Hello tony i have a cuestion wat iis your lapptop 

Topic starter

Hello tony i have a cuestion wat iis your lapptop 

Hello Raul,

I have 2 I use for DJUCED; 1 is an older Asus model N551JK (i5-4200H, 8GB RAM) and a new Lenovo IdeaPad 5 (Ryzen 7 4800U, 16GB RAM).