my first job

Ninosan

65 Berichten
Gepost op 09/24/20 aan 16:06:22
Slovenia
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
Hello, I'm going back to you to hear your opinion on my first job.
I state that the compilation is for personal use and you are not authorized to any kind of publication.
I point out that I first picked up a DJ console just a couple of weeks ago at the ripe old age of 60 and had never mixed before.
I used an Inpulse 500, a notebook with I5 processor and 8 mb of ram.
For my convenience I have connected an additional 22 "monitor.
I appreciate your opinion on the mixing technique and on the few filters and samplers used.
In my opinion, with a console like this even a beginner could do good jobs after very little learning.
The automatisms, if used well, really help a lot.
Here is the link where you can download the file, it is a FLAC because I mainly use high quality files and, first of all, I like to listen to the quality.
If you get a warning from google drive that it can't check for viruses, it's just because google drive doesn't check for files larger than 100mb, that's almost 1gb.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KffdNlwfyFI9QoMKdLnSS9oEPafLYkHe/view ?usp=sharing 

Sityi

101 Berichten
Gepost op 09/24/20 aan 20:33:41
Hungary
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJControl Starlight
  • Djuced
  • Serato
  • djay Pro
Don't get me wrong, but it would be much better if you upload your mix to SoundCloud or MixCloud or HearThis.at. They all offer a free tier. This way anyone can isntantly start listening to your mix instead of having to download a large file. And it has the additional benefit of having a profile of your work organised - here's mine on MixCloud as an example.
While FLAC offers exceptional quality, a 320 kbps MP3 would suffice. Even skilled DJs probably couldn't tell the difference on high-end club level PA system, so on everyday speakers, headphones it's indifferent.

Ninosan

65 Berichten
Gepost op 09/25/20 aan 09:30:46
Slovenia
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
you are absolutely right and I accept your advice.
I haven't uploaded the file to a public cloud because I don't know the legal aspects, so I preferred a private cloud.
As for the FLAC format, most of my library is HI-RES and I'm used to listening to it with a HI-FI headphone system.
I agree that publishing in MP3 320 kbps would be more comfortable for everyone and few would notice the difference in quality.
In the meantime, did you download my first job?

Sityi

101 Berichten
Gepost op 09/25/20 aan 11:38:41
Hungary
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJControl Starlight
  • Djuced
  • Serato
  • djay Pro
MixCloud and HearThis.at are aimed to provide a legal platform for any DJ while protecting the producers used in the mixes, so they get their royalty fee after each playback.

I had time to listen to only the first 30 minutes. Based on that my personal opinion is that the song selection is quite interesting, but the flow has issues for me. There are a couple of spots, where only the drum and the hihat can be heard for quite an extended time. You may want to rethink your transition points and time to make it more engaging and leave out these "empty" spaces". You don't have to play the full track is the intro and outro are that long. Heck, sometimes I let a song run for about a minute - minute and half and then just switch to something else, if I find the track monotone (a good example of that is I Wanna Dance with Somebody from The Cube Guys - great track, but for almost 7 minutes of non-stop banging it's a bit too much). Regarding the effects: spinback is used quite frequently - which seems a bit too much for me. I totally agree with DJ Hapa: effects should be used sparesly to spice up the music. What I try to do when I mix is to select 3-4 effects / tricks for a 1 hour mix and use them once in that timeframe spread out roughly evenly. There are a couple of effects which can be your favourite, but remember, at the end it's about the music, not the effects.
But then again, I might be wrong, due to how I learn DJing and my personal preferences. Besides, I'm a newcomer as well, I just started learning 10 months ago.

What automatisms were you using and how?

Ninosan

65 Berichten
Gepost op 09/25/20 aan 11:51:40
Slovenia
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
so .... in the meantime, thank you for listening and giving me your opinion.
I listened again in the headphones and I also noticed the transitions too long, I try to improve in the future.
As automatisms what are you referring to? I used SYNC (for convenience), but I don't think anything else.
Meanwhile, I activated sharing to listen to on my NAS at this link and converted to MP3

Sityi

101 Berichten
Gepost op 09/25/20 aan 20:49:27
Hungary
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJControl Starlight
  • Djuced
  • Serato
  • djay Pro
Let me rephrase this sharing thing again. What you are currently doing is considered illegal in many countries, unless you can provide evidence that you have the right to distribute the music in your mix from all record labels and artists this way. If not, then you should remove these shares. And that's where the sites I mentioned come in - they provide a legal platform for DJs to share their work.

Automatism: I was just curious, that's all. Actually many DJs say he who use the sync button is not a real DJ - I think that's a bit strong. While I agree on manual beatmatching is fundamental and extremely important for every single DJ, the sync button can potentially save a transition which would go trainwreck. Besides, the sync button is only effective as far as the beatgrid of the song is right. On the other hand I find the quantize button very useful when I'm using the FX mode on the performance pads. It really helps aligning the different echoes and others to the beat - but then again only if the beatgrid is okay. And I turn it off for transitions, because it can interfere with that - it tries to help starting the music on the beat too, which is great and useful, but I guess I just like to do the hard (and fully manual) way, but using the beatmatch guide. Hope this makes sense...

Ninosan

65 Berichten
Gepost op 09/26/20 aan 09:21:36
Slovenia
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
all your holy words.
In fact, even if I use the sync almost always, just to speed up the synchronization process, also because I'm at the first experience, I always check the next file on the headphones. I try the beats, the master volume, eq etc ... if the beat grid does not satisfy me I modify it. All this before entering with the next song.
Obviously in my case, I do it for fun and I have no ambition to play in public but only to prepare some CDs for me and some friends.

Sityi

101 Berichten
Gepost op 09/27/20 aan 08:23:37
Hungary
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJControl Starlight
  • Djuced
  • Serato
  • djay Pro
I'm just barely scratching the surface. I think in the end what matters is having fun, regardless how you achieve it. The rest will come with time, patience and practice.

Ninosan

65 Berichten
Gepost op 12/01/20 aan 12:51:19
Slovenia
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
Since I bought the Inpulse 500 I have made some mixes for personal use, to listen to in the car or when I do fitness.
The last work I made on the basis of HIP HOP / R & B which seems to me very successful. The opening song drives me crazy.
I would like to share the work here. I know that the file is a bit heavy but I have no ambitions to publish on the various dedicated sites.
Here is the link for those who want to download it, it will only be valid for one week.
http://gofile.me/4sV3s/10syHp8b0

JasonKord

3 Berichten
Gepost op 04/18/21 aan 04:27:12
Canada
  • DJ Control Steel
  • Djuced
Did you try 300?  I am wanting to buy 300 since Pioneer dj400 is more and on here people love them.  Youtube has lots of good videos on 300 and 500 but I just have DJ Steel now.

1. “Never become so involved with something that it blinds you. Never forget where you from; someone will remind you.” Cool

Sityi

101 Berichten
Gepost op 04/18/21 aan 18:52:30
Hungary
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJControl Starlight
  • Djuced
  • Serato
  • djay Pro
I have both and if budget is an important factor, you will be fine with the 300. The jogwheels are tighter on that and to be perfectly honest I like the FX handling on that a tad bit more (having dedicated knobs and on/off / secetcor switch vs. combining it with the filter knob). The 500 have a hardware mixer and a mic plus line-in option as well, also have metal faceplate and legs and Serato compatibility - if those are important for you, then save up for the 500, else the 300 is a rock solid optin (and I think a better one than the DDJ-400).