Notifications
Clear all

traktor pro 3 mapping for universal dj controller

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi user experience team,
there is currently a traktor pro 2 mapping uploaded for universal dj controller on the hercules website.

is it possible for the hercules team to create a traktor pro 3 mapping for universal dj?

thanks.

Hello hb_dj,

Traktor Pro 2 mapping files also work in Traktor Pro 3. 
What do you wish to change for Traktor Pro 3? 

Topic starter

Indeed thanks for the tip, I was finally able to import it.

I guess I'm familiar with how it is mapped in DJUCED. The mappings in DJUCED seem more intuitive than in Traktor.

Some differences I could spot:
1) Cue point 1 is always set to song start and unassignable. This one is not a big issue though, as remaining pads can be used to set cues.
2) Traktor has FX mapped to both rows of Pads(1-4 and 5-8) which is nice, but the level control seems odd. Individual FX control requires pressing the numbered pad for that FX(say Pad 1 for Reverb) while turning the encoder. This used to be the number pad(Pad 5 for Pad 1) below the FX assigned number pad in DJUCED. 
Turning the encoder while pressing the same pad(say Pad 1 for a Reverb FX) when trying to adjust reverb control(not the main FX dry/wet mix) will now enable or disable it while trying to adjust it.

Additionally, FX mapping for the bottom row Pads cause the FX level to keep rising as the Pad button is pressed. For the top row FX pad toggles it, but for the lower row Fx pad it is enabled as long as the button is pressed. Two different mapping for the two FX rows

3) Looping does not seem to have loop in loop out controls as in DJUCED. Traktor has managed to map the beat slicer which was not done in DJUCED, so that is a bonus. But now you have to use the encoder to set the loop length and there is no quick way to set a 1 bar, 2 bar etc loop.

4) Jogwheel for Deck A seek(when stopped) is fine, but Deck B jogwheel is really slow for seeking. 

Would it be possible for you to test the mapping file on a Universal DJ with Traktor Pro 3 ?

Meanwhile I'll see how difficult it is to make the mappings myself.

Thanks.

Topic starter

After trying some mappings I can now explain the problem a little better. I was also able to fix the Deck B  jogwheel sensitivity in the mapping.

However, after importing the mapping file, I am unable to find FX mappings in the Controller Manager for FX unit 3 and 4, yet the Universal DJ controller pads 5 to 8 are controlling them.

Not sure how the DJ controller can control any Traktor feature without a mapping present for it.
I am unable to figure this out myself, and would really appreciate your help with it.

Can you please check the mappings for "Knob" and "Button" for FX Units 3 and 4? Maybe there is some conflict in the mappings in the file so it does not get displayed in Traktor 3.

Hello hb!dj,

I have no Universal DJ so I cannot run the test but the Traktor mapping file TP2_Uni_DJ.zip  on support.hercules.com website includes 4 files
2 mapping files 
- 1 for Windows.DJ_Uni_TP2_v271(PC).tsi
- 1 for macOS DJ_Uni_TP2_v271(MAC).tsi

2 manuals files
- 1 for Windows   Uni-TP2_Config_PC_v271.pdf
- 1 for mac. Uni-TP2_Config_MAC_v271.pdf

So can you precise if you have read the pdf files as the FX section is described on page 7 of Uni-TP2_Config_PC_v271.pdf

Topic starter

Thanks for the suggestion, I had missed reading the manual in the zip. After going through it I can see how the controller is mapped in Traktor, including the FX section.
However, the manual is not a tutorial(of course, that is expected), and I still have to figure out how the combination of button + encoder was mapped in Traktor.
I will continue looking for tutorials, as the mapping in Traktor seems advanced and powerful.

Thank you for your help. I hope DJUCED adds timecode support someday, but until then have to try Traktor or others.