SUBJECTS >FORUM UK/US> SOFTWARE > DJUCED not using correct ASIO output channels/volume knobs not working
Back to the topics REPLY

DJUCED not using correct ASIO output channels/volume knobs not working

qb

1 Messages
Posted on 01/04/23 at 00:44:56
UK
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Serato
  • Djuced
Hi everyone :) I'm new here.

I'm working with an Inpulse 500 on DJUCED and Serato and have been using it using its built-in soundcard, which in many ways is a limitation. Like in Serato I ended up using the device merely as a controller and sending audio out my studio soundcard, and there are several things wrong with that in DJUCED which makes it impossible to use it as such right now without messy trickery (and only if your studio soundcard supports wild routings).

Device in use:

- Hercules Inpulse 500, latest updates (as of 2023/01/04)
- DJUCED v5.3.6 4cce20ae
- Windows 10 64-bit, latest build

Summary of the steps and bugs when using the Inpulse 500 as a controller with a studio soundcard:

1. I cannot select different WASAPI outputs for master (on built-in: 1&2) and headphones (on built-in: 3&4), so I am forced to use my soundcard's ASIO driver

2. I select my soundcard's ASIO driver

3. I add a master output to send audio out on ASIO channels 5+6, it works

4. I add another output for the headphones, I pick ASIO channels 11+12, but DJUCED will _always_ output the headphones mix on ASIO channel 1+2, regardless of which channels I pick. This is already the primary bug here. Please fix this ASAP, it's a massive issue. I could reproduce this with three other ASIO soundcards.

5. The headphones volume knob on the Inpulse 500 (even though it sends MIDI) does _not_ control the headphones mix sent out to the ASIO soundcard. This is also a big issue as it's not possible to change HP volume during mixing.

6. The master volume knob on the Inpulse 500 also does _not_ control the master mix send out to the ASIO soundcard. Same issue as above.

7. Separate issue: There is an inherent lack of keyboard shortcuts (mapping them does not work reliably) for very, very basic things like PLAY/PAUSE (e.g. SPACE + CTRL+SPACE), RESTART (e.g. BACKSPACE + CTRL+BACKSPACE), STOP (e.g. NUM0 + CTRL+NUM0), a way to load the track in the list (typically ENTER, e.g. ENTER for deck1, CTRL+ENTER for deck2), etc. This is crippling when preparing the tracks offline without a controller.

Hoping for a positive response, I'd like to stay with the Hercules/DJUCED combination for a while and want to believe you're taking your customers seriously and don't play the same game as most other manufacturers and not ignore such basic requirements/issues.

New year's greetings to all of you, Tom

User Experience Team

2159 Messages
Posted on 01/04/23 at 16:02:54
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello Qb,

Welcome to the forum.

As your message is long, I split my answer in 3 messages, 1 by theme.

Theme 1: audio routing

Please precise the name (brand & model) of your studio sound card and the version of drivers you use.

Summary of the steps and bugs when using the Inpulse 500 as a controller with a studio soundcard:
1. I cannot select different WASAPI outputs for master (on built-in: 1&2) and headphones (on built-in: 3&4), so I am forced to use my soundcard's ASIO driver
1) I do not know what prevents you from choosing the WASAPI outputs.

(the enclosed screenshot of Djuced with DeeJay Trim 4&6 audio device in Wasapi shows headphones channel routed on output 5-6,instead of output 3-4),
but anyway, ASIO mode is better than Wasapi mode regarding sound quality and response time.
4. I add another output for the headphones, I pick ASIO channels 11+12, but DJUCED will _always_ output the headphones mix on ASIO channel 1+2, regardless of which channels I pick. This is already the primary bug here. Please fix this ASAP, it's a massive issue. I could reproduce this with three other ASIO soundcards.
2) I do not duplicate this bug, if I select Outputs 5&6 as headphones channel output with a sound board in ASIO mode, as in enclosed screenshot, Djuced plays the preview signal in output 5&6.

Please post the screenshot of your Djuced audio settings to see if the settings may cause the issue you refer to.

The way to post a screenshot on the forum is to:
1) upload the screenshot on an image hosting website, as https://postimages.org/ or another
2) copy the image link (for example https://i.postimg.cc/J0HMTsqt/DJUCED-5-Audio-Win-Dee-Jay- TRIM-WASAPI.png)
3) in the forum, click on insert image icon, and paste the image url
4) if needed, resize the image dimensions (the forum is old and does not accept images whose width exceed 700 pixels)
5) click on insert
and the screenshot is inserted in the message.

User Experience Team

2159 Messages
Posted on 01/04/23 at 16:22:12
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello Qb,

Theme 2: volume knobs 

5. The headphones volume knob on the Inpulse 500 (even though it sends MIDI) does _not_ control the headphones mix sent out to the ASIO soundcard. This is also a big issue as it's not possible to change HP volume during mixing.
6. The master volume knob on the Inpulse 500 also does _not_ control the master mix send out to the ASIO soundcard. Same issue as above.

3) DJControl Inpulse 500 master volume and headphones volume knobs are hardware volumes knobs, they control DJControl Inpulse 500 volume on outputs 1-2 and outputs 3-4, they do not control the DJ software.
They are not intended to set the volume on another sound card.

If you do not use at all the DJ controller built in sound card, they may be mapped over as software controls as they also send MIDI commands, but it cannot be a default setting as the main use is to use the DJ controller built in sound card, and summning up software volume + hardware volume would change the volume curve.

User Experience Team

2159 Messages
Posted on 01/04/23 at 16:42:08
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello Qb,

Theme 3 : shortcuts

7. Separate issue: There is an inherent lack of keyboard shortcuts (mapping them does not work reliably) for very, very basic things like PLAY/PAUSE (e.g. SPACE + CTRL+SPACE), RESTART (e.g. BACKSPACE + CTRL+BACKSPACE), STOP (e.g. NUM0 + CTRL+NUM0), a way to load the track in the list (typically ENTER, e.g. ENTER for deck1, CTRL+ENTER for deck2), etc. This is crippling when preparing the tracks offline without a controller.

SPACE is already mapped by default to extend DJUCED browser, so it is better not to use it.

What do you call STOP and RESTART? Do you mean PAUSE and PLAY, or do you mean another action?

If you map shortcuts on keys already used as shortcuts by Windows, Djuced or a program in the background, you get
conflicts so you should not try to map shortcuts on keys with ENTER, BACKSPACE or 0. but on keys which are not already in use.

On my Windows, I can map
PLAY/PAUSE: Deck 1 = CTRL+Q      Deck 2 = ALT+Q
LOAD: Deck 1 = CTRL+Z      Deck 2 = ALT+Z
with the following commands (in DJUCED > SETTINGS > KEYBOARD)

To display the list of the possible actions, the easiest way is is to type an invalid action in a new line of Actions (I type a as invalid action string in the action field), and then I click on key field, then Djuced can display the list of possible actions: