SUBJECTS >FORUM UK/US> SOFTWARE > BPM/tempo changes in loop - can't sync to exact matching BPM
Back to the topics REPLY

BPM/tempo changes in loop - can't sync to exact matching BPM

weiox1039

3 Messages
Posted on 07/15/22 at 18:25:52
USA
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
Hi all,

I am finding that I have deck 1 playing and on the deck 2 I change the tempo to match the playing track on deck 1.  When I slide the tempo slider, it usually 'catches' at the BPM from the deck 1 playing track like it knows I am trying to match them exactly.  This is great!  Then I will create a loop on deck 2 to prepare for the transition but I notice the BPM/tempo will change slightly.  I try sliding the tempo bar to match it up exactly w/ deck 1 again but I cannot seem to get it perfect, it's always off by a few tenths (.10) of a beat.

Anyone know why and how to avoid this?

User Experience Team

2013 Messages
Posted on 07/17/22 at 16:29:58
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello weiox1039,

Welcome to the forum.

1) If you use DJControl Inpulse 500 and Djuced, then this issue is described here
https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/forum/fr-logiciel/033372/
and it is now fixed for Djuced next version, so it will be ficed in next version of Djuced (today's built is Djuced 5.3.4, so it will be fixed in Djuced 5.3.5 or Djuced 5.4).

2) If you do not use DJControl Inpulse 500 and Djuced, then please realise nobody may guess
- the DJ software you use, and its version
- in which operating system
- on which DJ controller
unless you complete complete your profile in "My Space"> "My Profile" https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/account/informations/ &nb sp;
so please comlplete the 3 fields 
  - In "Hercules equipment in use", please check the name of your Dj controller,
  - In "Software in use", check the name of your DJ software,
  - In "Describe your equipment": describe your computer brand and model, CPU, quantity of RAM, version of Windows or Mac OS, version of DJConsole Series driver package, the version number of your DJ software (for example Djuced 5.3.4),

weiox1039

3 Messages
Posted on 07/19/22 at 19:49:58
USA
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
Thank you for your response.  I am using Inpulse 500 along with DJUCED 5.3.4.  However, I'm not sure this is the same issue as reported in https://www.herculesdjmixroom.com/en-us/forum/fr-logiciel/0333 72/.  In my case, the BPM actually does change on the looped track and it can get out of sync because of this.  

I adjust the BPM to match and then trigger an autoloop and the BPM will change slightly (less than 1 BPM) and I cannot readjust it using the slider to match exactly again.

I can try to make a video of this similar to the other user for reference.
I

User Experience Team

2013 Messages
Posted on 07/20/22 at 09:36:00
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello Weiox1039,

Thanks for your feedback

1) As you set an Autoloop, it is not exactly the same issue as mentionned in the other discussion.

2) Please precise if this occurs all the time or only from time to time:
- if it occurs from time to time, it may also be due to the mechanical movement of the tempo fader, check if this occurs also if you move the tempo fader in pushing it without pressing on it (the more forces are applied on the fader, as pushing horizontally+ pressing vertically, the more there may be a mechanical spring counter effect causing the fader to slightly move after being released, at a scale you do not see with you eyes but the software sees). If yes, it should also occur when you do not make a loop, but wait as long as if you made a loop 
- if it occurs all the time, it is not this mechanical spring effect on the fader.

Are you on macOS or on Windows?

weiox1039

3 Messages
Posted on 07/20/22 at 20:45:20
USA
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • Djuced
I am using Windows 10.

As far as occurence, it is not 100% of the time, only randomly on some tracks.  I do not believe it is due to physically accidentally moving the tempo fader as I have made sure to not touch this after I initial match the tempo to the playing track on the other deck.  Furthermore, once it changes on it's own, I am not able to EXACTLY match the BPM of the playing track again, like I was initially able to do easily.

As I mentioned in my first post, initially I will adjust the tempo slider to match the BPM of the playing track and it will kind of "lock" to the BPM of the playing track.  I can see this because even if I move the tempo slider very slightly, the BPM does not change.  It will only change if I push it far enough.  This is a great feature since generally you will want to match BPM!  

However, after setting the autoloop by pushing the autoloop button, then pressing play on the deck, it will automatically change the BPM after playing through the loop. I then will try to adjust the BPM with the physical tempo fader and it is mpossible to match the BPM to the hundreth of a BPM (i.e. if it was set to 102.33 before selecting the auto loop, then after setting autoloop it changes by itself to 103.20, then I cannot set it back to 102.33, maybe I can only get to 102.37 using the tempo fader).  

Hopefully I can upload a video soon.

User Experience Team

2013 Messages
Posted on 07/21/22 at 11:21:10
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Inpulse 500
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • Serato
  • Djuced
  • VirtualDJ
  • Traktor
Hello Weiox1039

Thanks for the feedback.

1) About the possibility of this issue being due to mechanical movement of the tempo fader
I did not mean you touch the fader, I meant that after you have moved the tempo fader with a double force (horizontal traction + vertical pressure) movement, when you release the fader cap, the fader shaft may slightly move back in the next minute at an invisible scale but a scale the DJ app sees. For this reason, the BPM figure is often displayed with only 1 decimal, 1 figure after the BPM unit, since fader's spring effect is too limited to be visible at that level (it does not suppress the spring effect, but it is no longer visible)
The simplest way to reduce the "spring" effect is to move a fader by pulling it horizontally without pressing down on the fader cap.

2) Regarding the tempo fader resolution
You can change the tempo fader range with Shift+Quant, as a 6% range gives a much higher accuracy to the tempo range than a 50% tempo range.

3) Regarding software settings
The BPM range value of 1 deck "sticking" to the BPM value of the other deck is a trick aligning the deck BPM value to fit the BPM value of the master deck. When you cannot match precisely the BPM value, please check if the other deck is still Master (you see the Master / Sync status of the deck, on the right of the song key in Djuced deck).
If the deck you take as reference is no longer the master, you can make it the master with Shift+Sync in Djuced.