ableton live 11 and...

Notifications
Clear all

ableton live 11 and hercules 300 just a curiosity

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

im trying to understand ableton live 11, i had a curiosity. its possible to use ableton live 11 with my hercules 300? i did read that someone use ableton live 11 to mix... i have no clue how it could be done, so its just my curiosity

Hello dani18,

It is possible to map many controllers in Ableton Live, including a DJ controller as DJControl Inpulse 300, but
- a DJ controller layout is very far from the way a DAW as Ableton Live is organized
- a DJ controller will be unnatural in Ableton Live, except to control DJ VST plugins.

The typical controllers for Ableton Live are more:
- MIDI keyboard controllers
- pad matrix controllers, as Novation Launchpad range
- mixer controller, as Akai Midimix or Launch Control XL or Platform M +,
- combinations mixer + pad controls, as Akai APC-40 MK2 or APC Mini
- Ableton dedicated controller, Ableton Push.

A DJ controller is useable in Ableton Live (you have to build a MIDI map on some features), but as other DAW, Live has too versatile features and too many layers to be efficiently controlled by a DJ controller.
In general, standard controllers control only 1 module in a DAW (for example the piano is controlled by a keyboard, the mixer is controlled by sliders, drums are controlled by pads..), and the overal controller for DAW is often more efficiently made by the DAW publisher as
- Push for Ableton Live
- Maschine for Maschine 2
- Atom SQ for Studio One
- Avid Dock for Pro Tools
since the when using non sequential actions in the DAW, controlling these actions is more natural if the DAW developpers are also the developpers of the controller.

I have used 2 DAWs, Logic Pro and Ableton Live, and I finally found more efficient to take a dedicated controller for each DAW instead of using DJ controllers with these DAWs.

Topic starter

ok 🙂

now i try to "explain" what i did think, so you can say me if it's correct

i would like to use a virtualdj, mix with my controller and record directly IN ableton (also because i use some tracks from tidal/beatport, and it's not possible to record mixing from streaming services)

i would like to record into ableton so i could directly listen again what i did, to correct where i am wrong, and assuming the mix is done correctly (.... ok it's a dream :D:D:D) i could try to directly correct the eventual difference of volume, making the track "sound" at the same level. 
it's something possible, or am i dreaming? Smile 

i have the audio card from pc and obviously i would like to use the audio card of the controller

Hello dani18,

Disabling the recording when playing a streaming services is not a limit, it is an agreement of the DJ software publishers with the streaming services: if DJ software did not prevent the user from recording the mix of a streaming service, DJ software would not be allowed to play the streaming services.

Trying to hack a streaming service inside DJ software puts in danger the ability of DJ software to keep the access to these streaming services since some music labels (Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner Music...) can request streaming services to be removed from the DJ software if they fear the software may be used to hack the service.
Presumably because of the pressure of the music labels, Spotify was removed from the DJ app which supported it, so please do not have such discussion on DJ areas, it is good neither for DJ apps nor for streaming services.

Topic starter
YES... i understand that this could be seen like an "hack" 🙁
in any case, i just wanted to record the files to listen later and see where i made mistakes... doing the same wiht my iphone, keeping the good mixing and deleting the bad ones
i dont work as deejay, nor i plan to. just want to learn and experiment 😛