new to mixers, trying to chose for my first mixer. please advise 🙂

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi there
i am after a mixer with the following requirements:
-2 vocals
-an electric and acoustic guitar direct plug in - i notice some have high z and some dont have high z inputs, not sure if that means anything
-phantom power (for individual channels but if this gets too complicated then dont worry) - as i have a mix of mics that require phantom power and some dont. hoping to just reuse them.
-output for a foldback speaker
-input for laptop music
-some basic fx in the form of reverb and delay. nothing crazy
-usb out would be good but not too hung up on that

i was quite impressed by soundcraft notepad fx12 (in terms of sound quality) but it doesnt have outputs for a foldback speaker
i like the behringer ones due to low price point and they include things like a compressor. perhaps a behringer x1622?
maybe the yamaha mg12xu will be similar??

speaker wise i have an alto ts415. might add another similar speaker later
i think i am planning to mainly use it to practice my vocals/guitar for a live situation / backyard parties and maybe some light djing in the future.

lvie in sydney, australia so my local stores storedj, mannys may not have the entire range.

ive done a lot of reading but dont have much practical experience so was hoping to get some help to decisively pick a few mixer options either from the above or outside, so i am able to buy with confidence.

many thanks

Hello tokojoki,

Welcome to the forum.

The forum is DJ oriented so I am not sure you get here the best answers but I try to provide a first feedback.

• About Hi-Z: electric guitar or bass need hi-Z inputs unless they have an active circuitry in the pick-up, or if the guitar/bass go first through a modeler or a pedalboard. Hi-Z circuits add a gainstage needed by electric guitar/bass which have no power/battery. 
  • About USB Out: it is very different if the mixer is a USB interface (a full USB interface can handle each input/output separately in a a digital audio workstation as Ableton Live, FL Studio, Logic Audio) it increases the cost of lot.
    - If you mean a simple USB out playing a stereo out,(as Notepad 12FX USB-In on channel 9/10) then it is not expensive
    - if you mean a full USB audio interface, then the mixer is not longer an analog mixer, but a digital Audio interface, and the cost is much higher as Presonus StudioLive AR8c

Please precise whether

• you need 2 mic inputs  (vocals) + guitar inputs at the same time.
  • your acoustic guitar has a direct output (so has a pick-up with a 1/4" output) or you use it with an external microphone. 

Soundcraft Notepad FX12 is both affordable and with a good audio quality.
You may also look at Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX (Guitar key on Mic 2 = Hi Z)

Topic starter
Hi there, thanks for your message
I was going down the route of 2 mic input si.e. vocals and guitar inputs at the same time
The acoustic guitar has a pickup with a 1/4"output
I liked soundcraft notepad but it didnt have the ability to attach a monitor out for foldback speaker

Hello tokijori,

A few more questions:

• Do you need  to connect at the same time the 2 mic vocal inputs + 1 electric guitar + 1 acoustic guitar?
  • Do you connect the electric guitar directly or through a pedalboard? If yes, what is the output level of the pedal board (Hi-Z, Mic, Line, and if it is a line level, is it mono or stereo)?
  • What is the output level of the pick-up on the acoustic guitar: hi-Z (then it is probable a simple 1/4" output), line (then it may be a 1/4'' output with a volume knob) or mic (then it may be an XLR output)?

Yes, the notepad FX12 is a compromise solution. It has no booth / nearfield monitor outputs (I suppose your foldback speaker is a nearfield monitor), but for example Yamaha MG12XU and Behringer Xenyx 1622USB have no Hi-Z input.

I mentionned Alesis Multimix 8 as its cost is the same as Notepad FX12 and an Alto speaker owner should like Alesis sound since both Alto and Alesis are part of InMusic Brands.

Other analog consoles with all the features listed are

Topic starter
Hi there
Thanks so  much for your replies. Really helping me out.
-Do you need  to connect at the same time the 2 mic vocal inputs + 1 electric guitar + 1 acoustic guitar? - Most likely not, but id love to have the functionality
-Do you connect the electric guitar directly or through a pedalboard? If yes, what is the output level of the pedal board (Hi-Z, Mic, Line, and if it is a line level, is it mono or stereo)? - I have a helix so yes will be via pedalboard, but can it also be directly connected? In this case would the input need to be high Z specifically?
-What is the output level of the pick-up on the acoustic guitar: hi-Z (then it is probable a simple 1/4" output), line (then it may be a 1/4'' output with a volume knob) or mic (then it may be an XLR output)? - I have a volume knob on one acoustic guitar and no volume knob on the other acoustic.
To get around a High Z input what device do I need, Im sure those mixers can also connect things to it.
Alesis is available here
Just wondering if any other options (though the ones you listed are pretty good)
And which one would you choose and why?
Also in terms of SQ/mic preeamps which mixers are better than others? Even though it might not make a differnce i am a bit of an audiophile and could pick up the difference, though offcourse i wouldnt be critically listening to it or anything.
My idea is Behringer<Alto mixer<Yamaha<Soundcraft.
Lastly, do these all do phantom mics & USB recording too? In terms of phantom power - can i still plug in phantom powered and non phantom powered mics at the same time. Ive got a couple of neumans for instance with just a shure sm58.
Many thanks

Hello tokijoki,

If you connect a DI Box at the output of a guitar, you no longer need a H-Z input on the mixing console as the DI box output is a line level output.
The mic preamp preference depends on your taste.
I do not consider 1 brand is by definition below/over another 1 as the same brand may have entry level and high-end instruments and ranking a high-end unit based on the performance of the entry level unit is not fair, but of course the price gives an indication of the manufacturing cost of the mixing console, and possibly its quality.

My experience of analog mixers is limited to 3 brands, Behringer Xenyx 502, Art Audio (USBMix and USBMix6), and Yamaha (MG04), so I have not tested all the brands and I have never directly connected a guitar to any mixer. In my experience, I prefer Art Audio because it is compact, simple and solid.

Topic starter

nice