issues with new djc...

Notifications
Clear all

issues with new djcontrol starlight

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
i just got the starlight dj controller, and it does not want to work correctly. it seems as if the buttons are mapped wrong on the board. when i try and use the play button, on djuiced and serato pro and lite, it seems to want to sync the tracks instead of play them. the hot cue buttons dont create hot queues, and when i press the loop button it will highlight just the 8 bar loop and doesnt let me activate it or change it.
is there something i couldve done to cause this and im just daft, or does it sound like something is wrong with it?
and yes, i have the newest versions of the dj softwares, the newest hercules drivers, and im running windows 10.
ive also submitted a request to the hercules support team, and tried calling them but they were closed even though i called within the allotted business hours

Hello accntnt,

Welcome to the forum. 

1) Please install Hercules DJ drivers 1.HDJS.2021 from 
https://support.hercules.com/en/product/djcontrolstarlight-en/  ,
call Hercules DJ control panel

and, go to the About tab to check the DJControl Starlight firmware version: is it release 2.28?

2) Please confirm if you run the Starlight connected to the computer USB port or a USB hub which has a power adapter.
If you use a USB-C plug adaptor USB-c to USB type A, please confirm it is not an adaptor bought below US$10.

Then, please

• take Chrome internet browser,
  • Make sure the DJControl Starlight is connected to the PC
  • go on https://www.midimonitor.com/  
  • Press Play button; do you get the note on command "Note #7 Velocity 127" when you press and "Note #7 Velocity 0" when you release?
  • Set the pads in Hot cue mode, press on pad 1: do you get "Note #0 Velocity 127" when you press, and "Note #0 Velocity 0" when you release the pad?
  • press on pad 2: do you get "Note #1 Velocity 127" when you press, and "Note #1 Velocity 0" when you release the pad?
  • press on pad 3: do you get "Note #2 Velocity 127" when you press, and "Note #2 Velocity 0" when you release the pad?
  • press on pad 4: do you get "Note #3 Velocity 127" when you press, and "Note #3 Velocity 0" when you release the pad?
Topic starter

@ User Experience Team

1) I have installed the firmware, it is release 1.28 and it says that is the latest version, not 2.28 as you stated, was there a typo there?

2) I have tried both running it off my computer's USB port and off a powered USB hub, both experience the same issue. No USB-C involved here.

3) Here is where things get funky. I can recreate and record it if you want proof of sorts. (Edit, added video just cause)

• When I press the left play button, I get many commands, Note #5 Velocity 127, Note #6 Velocity 127, Note #7 Velocity 127,
    Note # 16 Velocity 127, Note #17 Velocity 127, Note #18 Velocity 127, and Note #19 Velocity 127, and theres multiples of 3 for all
    of those
    When I release the button, all of those same notes appear and the velocity drops to 0 for all of them
  • When I switch the starlight into hot cue mode, the hot cue button is Note #15, and that goes from velocity 127, to 0 on release
  • None of the hot cue pads, 1 through 4, have any input whatsoever
  • Heres a video: 

Hello,

You are right, the firmware is 1.28.

Your DJControl Starlight unit is probably defective: it seems keypads are unproperly positionned: please test on another computer to make sure it not related to an issue of USB port and if you duplicate this behaviour on another computer

1) If it is a new unit, return it to the store and ask for an exchange as it is a defective unit.
Some stores ask that you contact Hercules tech support firts (I do not work for Hercules support), so if you cannot join them by phone, at 866 889 5036 or by email on  https://support.hercules.com/en/portal-login-en/

2) If it is a second hand unit no longer under warranty, you can disassemble the controller in removing the 6 screws on the ground, and the 8 caps on the top (6 rotary caps + 2 fader caps), to reposition the keypads.