Notifications
Clear all

headphones with mic causing controller issues

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hey

i have pruchased my very first controller (hercules dj control inpulse 200) and i realised there were certain issues with sound quality coming out of my headphones. i get low bass, low volume and just overall distortion. i realised it happens for headphones that have a mic and hence an extra 3rd ring on the jack. other regular headsets are working fine, just the ones with micrphone included are sounding horrid. can someone tell me why that happens and is there a way to go about it wothout purchasing another headset? cheers.

Topic starter

The reason is the extra ring on the plug itself and it doesn't align properly with the connector.

A cheap adapter like this should solve the issue (TRRS to TRS):

Topic starter

Ah i see, it makes sense! Thank you 

Hello,

1) If you do not plan to use the microphone at all, you may also use a connector like this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0095ZGCIK/

which will convert the 4-pin (TRRS) connector of the headphones to a 3-pin connector (TRS) and avoid the contact issue.

2) If you headphones has a TRRS connector, in general it is not good for DJing as the impedance of such headphones is very low (sometimes below 8 ohms) so that the output level, which is OK with a mobile phone, is too strong on more powerful outputs as a DJ controller. Of course, if you keep the headphones volume knob low enough, it is not a problem, but if you make a mistake a set it too loud, it may be painful. I do not mean you will become deaf, but to preserve your ears, avoid using ultra low impedance headsets in Djing.
DJ or music production headphones are perfect for it, you may also use hifi headphones for Djing, but mobile phone headphones are not very good for Djing.