hercules rmx not wo...

Notifications
Clear all

hercules rmx not working with 2011 mac mini

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i dug up my old hercules rmx and it doesnt seem to work with my 2011 mac mini running high sierra 10.13.6. when i connect the console to my computer, the button lights will blink several times before turning off. when i open djuced i get a warning at the bottom of the application saying midi input device is not present, however when i look in mac utilities audio midi setup the rmx does appear in the list as hercules dj rmx console aggregate. here it says clock source: offline device. im not sure what this means but im assuming it indicates the device is not being recognized.

i have downloaded the most up-to-date drivers at this link:

https://support.hercules.com/en/product/djconsolermx-en/

i have seen the recommendation to use a shorter usb cable or usb 3.0 hub for recent computers, however my mac mini is from 2011 and its usb ports are usb 2.0, so i dont think this should be the issue. i tried a shorter cable anyway and it didnt fix my issue. please help!

Hello sreid,

Welcome on the forum.

"Hercules DJ Rmx Aggregate" is an aggregate audio device, it is not the MIDI device.
In Audio MIDI Setup, click on the Window menu > Show MIDI Studio to see the MIDI Devices.

Anyway, even in Audio device window, if DJ Console Rmx audio device clock is not OK, something is noy OK. 

Have you access to another computer to see if DJ Console Rmx boots or not on another computer?
Regarding Mac Mini, I remember Mac Mini USB 2 ports might be a bit limited in USB bus power so that it could be necessary to add a USB 2 hub with a power adapter between the computer and the Rmx. If you have another USB hub (USB 2 or USB 3) with a power adapter, it is worth trying.

Topic starter

Hi there. Thanks for your prompt reply. 

Thanks for showing me the MIDI Studio view in Audio MIDI Setup. I switched to this view and I see the DJ Console RMX device but it is faded out and I cannot click on it. I presume it is listed there from when I used to use the device years ago on this machine.

I tried connecting the RMX to my 2011 MacBook Pro as you suggested, and I'm having an identical experience.

I don't remember the bus power being an issue before with my Mac Mini. I used my RMX with my Mac Mini successfully in the past, however this was years ago (~2012-13) and it was definitely running an older Mac OS version then. 

Any other thoughts for troubleshooting? Unfortunately I don't have a USB hub. 

Hello sreid,

MacOS updates have made USB ports less tolerant than they were before so some Mac computers which had worked OK on DJ Console Rmx (or other power consuming USB bus-powered devices) with previous macOS version suddenly need a powered USB hub between the compter and the device once after each macOS update.

Topic starter

Hi there. 

OK. Is there a particular USB hub you can recommend, or a few to choose from that are known to fix this issue? I've heard that not all of them will and I fear purchasing the wrong one. 

Hello,

The most important point is to take a USB hub with a power adapter, as the reason for using the hub is only the power adapter: I have used several no name USB hub without meeting any issue.
If you have tried a shorter USB cable (good idea), make sure it is a thick USB 2.0 cable, as the quality of the shielding in the USB cable is important. I have a DJ Console Rmx which still works OK on my mac computers, and I use it only with short 1-m USB cables. The jog wheels of my Rmx had become sticky and I had removed the glue them with alcohol.
A last possible explanation for your problem is that the firmware is bricked, as DJ Console Rmx firmware is not as well protected as on today's DJ controller. But firmware bricking does not suddenly appear on a controller which was working before: it occurs only when, while your a firmware updater (while installing drivers) and you meet a data transfer issue or an electric issue during this process.
So
- if last time you used the DJ Console Rmx, it was working and you did not run a firmware updater, it is not this issue. 
- if last time you ised the DJ Console Rmx, you updated the driver and ran a firmware update operation which failed, it is this issue.
If you have a bricked firmware, there is only 1 solution, which is not easy, it is to disassemble the ground of the Rmx to get access to the printed circuit board where is the USB port, to remove the eeprom from its socket, to put the eeprom in a eeprom programmer (eeprom burner) and to reprogram the eeprom on the eeprom programmer with a .bin eeprom file I can send you. But it is complicated as you guess.