djuced: keys from t...

Notifications
Clear all

djuced: keys from tags are not recognized.

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hi. as the title says djuced does not recognize keys from tags and i dont know how to fix that.

i dont wanna re-analyze the tracks as in many cases the key detection is not accurate. :/
has someone an idea how to fix that?

regards chris

Hello dlux80,

As there are several formats of key tags, please precise which program you have used to tag the key in your audio files, and confirm if all the audio files are MP3 files.

Topic starter

I used Traktor Pro 3 to analyze the keys and all my tracks are mp3 files.

All other DJ tools that I use read the keys from the mp3 files or have a function to import tags.

Hello dlux80,

Key has no standard location in tags, so it is not surprising Djuced does not read Traktor key.
You can tag the files key manually if you have a few tracks, but it is not possible for big lists.
To tag manually, you can printscreen Traktor library list as you did showing the key, then

1. run Djuced, 
  2. In Settings > General, choose Tonality notation as Open Key
  3. Then in Djuced library list, display the files you want to retag with key
  4. select the 1st file, click on i field on right of the library, and in KEY, select the key found by Traktor, and click OK
  5. repeat the same operation on each line.
Topic starter

"Key has no standard location in tags".

Im not that sure about that.
The most DJ tools I used in the past wrote the keys in the "Initial Key" tag and the all of those tools were able to read them.

"if you have a few tracks"

That's the problem. I've more than 2000 tracks and tagging them manualy... puh
I've copied all my tracks in a seperate folder and reanalyzed them with Djuced.
But as I suspected, many tracks got a wrong key. :/
Maybe I'm going to write a little tool that reads the mp3 files and enters the key tags correctly in the DJuced database.
But thanks anyway for the help.

Regards Chris

Hello dlux80,

In ID3 MP3 tag description on  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3 , you will not find a key/tone/tonality in it.

There is an IntialKey tag in audio files, but it can be more secure for DJ apps not to tag this field in a DJ app due to the variable key notations formats:

• Open Key notation,
  • Camelot notation,
  • scales
    - b flat notation
    - # sharp notation,
    - in relative scales, Major or Minor) 

so as long as there is not 1 unified key tag format, it may seem more secure to tag the key in a specific location of each DJ app, all the more as a DJ app use. 

If you analyzed tracks key with Djuced and with Traktor,
1) compare with the same key notation standard, so Open Key Notation
2) if you prefer to compare scales, take scales equivalence into account, for example you Dbm in flat notation = C#m in # sharp notation.

Bascurtiz has compared the key analysis accuracy of most DJ apps, including Djuced and Traktor Pro, and found both are very in his comparison (which make sense as both app use the same key detection library).
The key detection comparison of Bascurtiz I refer to is described in this discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/rn2wu5/key_detection_comparison_2021/
and the diagram of his 2022-09-26 comparison is this file.

You can downoad Bascurtiz test results here and you will find that, as the difference of key accuracy is 2.3% (2.3% out of 2,000 tracks = 46 tracks) the vast majority of the songs where Djuced and Traktor find different keys are cases where both are wrong.