Notifications
Clear all

djuced recording microphone

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
hello,
i am using the djcontrol inpulse 500 with djuced and just got a microphone. it plugs in and works fine (i can hear my voice through the speaker when mixing) but when i play back the recording i can not hear my voice. i tried again a few times speaking louder and turning the mic volume all the way up and still hear nothing on the recording. i know the mic is working because i can see the color around the mic knob when i speak.
i was suggested it may have something to do with the hercules series control panel (?) or needing a virtual sound card. can anyone provide any help?
thank you!

Hello Legasee,

The microphone is a hardware pass-through, so it is not recorded in general.

To record the microphone in Djuced Recording, you should:
- Activate the audio input in Djuced > Settings > Audio and assign it on a deck

- In Djuced mixing interface, click on the deck number and activate the External Source instead of the track Player.

If you want to record the mic input with 2 tracks mixing, you should:
1 ) Activate 4 decks in Djuced,
2) In the audio settings, assign the audio input to deck 3 and/or deck 4
3) then activate the External source as deck 3 and/or deck 4 player
4) mix on deck 1 & 2, and talk on deck 3 an/or 4. 

Topic starter
Hello,
Thank you for explaining! Pictures are helpful. I want to at least record a vocal drop. It seems a microphone will mostly be used for live mixing with this controller.

Hello Legasee,

You are right, the most common use of the microphone input on DJ controllers is to talk to the audience, and mixing the microphone in hardware on the master output without going through the software is more convenient for this use as it avoids:
- software latency, to hear one's voice exactly while talking, which is more comfortable,
- hearing noise when no microphone is connected,
so that, on many DJ controllers in the price segment of DJC I 500, the mic input is not recordable.

To get the best audio quality on the microphone input on DJC I 500, you should use a balanced microphone + a balanced microphone cable.
On most balanced  microphones, the microphone built-in output is an XLR connector

To be balanced, the microphone cable jack output should be a TRS jack (as if it were stereo).

And very often, affordable vocal microphones are technically balanced, but bundled with a non balanced mic cable, so changing the cable can improve them a lot.