Notifications
Clear all

inpulse 500 lettering / silkscreen rubbing off easily on mixer panel

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

howdy all. mike from toronto here.

i just picked up a new without packaging inpulse 500, brought it home and began giving it a wipe and i was shocked when all of the letters (gain - low - assistant) began disappearing. whats going on? i didnt even use a cleaning agent, just a mirofirbe cloth. 

has anyone else encountered such a thing?

ive had many mixers, controllers and other electronics items and of course ive never witnessed this before... even using cleaning chemicals on the others.

admittedly quite disappointed.

ideas?

thank all. 

Hello,

If you can describe in which conditions your DJ controller was used or cleaned before the wiping off, it may help to diagnose the root causes of this issue. Does "new without packaging" mean this unit was on display in a store?

As alcohol removes ink, if your unit was previously cleaned with hydroalcoholic sanitizer or if you had washed your hands with hydroalcoholic sanitizer and
- either did not wait til hands are dry before touching the controller,
- or dried your hands in the microfiber cloth used afterwards on the DJ controller,
then remains of alcoholic gel might have removed the silk screen ink.

It may be an explanation for this issue: I saw once on Facebook someone with a wipe off issue on another device (& other controls) and asked if (s)he had washed hands with alcohol prior to using the controller with wet hands, but I got no answer so I do not know whether hydroalcoholic sanitizer was the origin of this issue.

Topic starter

Thank you very much for the response, but what you've said makes no sense.

I've been spinning since 1986 and in my experience the only time any equipment has had its markings rubbed off has been through years and years of use, not wiping it with a dry cloth after having taken it out the box. 

I've got an 1980's Gemini mixer, a Denon DJ-2700N (1993), a Behringer BCD 3000, a Traktor S2 MKI and a Hercules DJ Console MK4 and none of these pieces of gear show any signs of losing their 'ink.' In fact, a week before I bought the 500 I sold my DDJ-SX and in preparation for the sale I removed the whole coverplate and washed it in...... drumroll.... sanitizing cleanser. No ink removal.

You mention that you've heard of this situation before? So I'm not alone. And as follow thought... If the reason is possibly due to sanitizing cleanser wouldn't every single controller on the planet now be void of lettering considering the whole pandemic thing in which you couldn't go 30 seconds without slopping another round of sanitizer on your hands? 

No, this is a production issue. I have opened a case with Hercules and I eagerly await their response. 

The saddest part... This has turned me off so much I just put the controller back in the box and that's where it sits. 

1) You ask a question
2) I explore hypotheses
3) you reply my answer makes no sense
but as my answer mentionned a Facebook post, you reply your problem is a production issue. I do not know whether your problem is or not a production issue, as I have not seen it yet, but your instant answer is really fast as I did not mention anything similar (the Facebook post was not related to Inpulse 500 mixer plate) .

By the way

1) Hydroalcoholic gel can really removes ink
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20020013237A1/en

2) Rubbing strongly a cloth with alcohol can remove paint
https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/hxur3e/are_alcohol_wipes_safe_on_a_dj_controller/  
a soft touch of alcohol may clean / a hard rub with alcohol may remove some paint or varnish.

3) If you used as I did a DJ Console MK4 unit for a decade, then the top panel its jog wheels may have become sticky: I removed the greasy layer on the top of the jog wheel in rubbing with a cloth and alcohol.

Topic starter
1) Yes I did. I felt the response that was offered had no relevance to this particular situation.
2) A hypothesis is (yes, I'm copy & pasting the dictionary) "a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation." SUPPOSITION = Maybe. BASIS OF LIMITED EVIDENCE = Well, exactly that... Limited evidence... A STARTING POINT / FURTHER INVESTIGATION = Maybe there is a factory production issue and it's just coming to light now. (How many vehicles get recalled after release? Airplanes... Car seats... Bicycles... Every product has its potential flaws and maybe since it's a relatively new item MAYBE the issues are just coming to light now.
3) Correct. It did not, considering I explained my situation. Just as I find your recent response demeaning and not in the least helpful.

As for the "Facebook Post." I have since joined the FB Group "Hercules DJControl Inpulse 500" and guess what... I'm not alone!!!! I posted the question at 11:48 this morning (June 13, 2022) and there are already a handful of respondants saying they are experiencing similar situations. Maybe they all should be told to avoid "Hydroalcoholic gel."

Just for shits and giggles I'll quote the infamous Chris Tucker... “Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?”

By the way

A: I did NOT use a cleaning agent.
B: I did not "Rub strongly... with alcohol."
C: At no time did I ever say I USED the "DJ Console MK4 unit for a decade", I said I own one. I spray painted a rope chain gold and I wear the MK4 around my neck like an 80's rapper. (The irony behind that statement.... It's such an incredible piece of gear that I really wish someone could somehow make it usable in 2022. It's so ahead of its time.) 

By the way... Pt. 2...

Here's a little tip for you. If you really want to clean a sticky, greasy jog wheel... DO NOT USE ALCOHOL! Alcohol counteracts the rubbers formula and may just make it worse. Simply use 'Blue Dawn Dish Soap.' Remove the jog, soak it in dishsoap for 10 minutes, rince, and voila, once dry.... looks brand new, clean and ready for use. (Did you learn something new today?)

I can't believe I've wasted so much time on this already. I wonder what the folks at Herc.Com are going to say.

Anyway... still disapointed.

Hi,

I understands you are disappointed.

1) I am sorry you find my recent response not the least helpful since I had tried to help.

2) If you feel offended by what  I have written
- I am sorry as it was not my intention,
- I wonder why you find my recent response "demeaning".

3) As you posted a photo on Facebook, and as Christan Gomez posted another photo, I get 2 photos of the mixer plates whose marks are wiped off. I do not know the previous process driving to this wiping off as a microfibre cloth on my Inpulse 500 has not the same result, I do not know what occured when your controller was new without packaging.

5) I did not write you used MK4 for a decade, I have written I used it for a decade (as a back-up). The top plate of MK4 jog wheels is a plastic part with a rubberized coating, not a rubber part, and this coating may become sticky after years depending on heat + humidity conditions, so alcohol is safe to clean this plastic as alcohol is used to wipde of the coating.

6) If you have contacted Hercules tech support, then Hercules may finally get access to your controller unit to study its chemical evolution.

Topic starter
"You are reaching us regarding an optical defect. We have received your picture and thank you.
Cleaning the DJCONTROL INPULSE 500 with a microfiber cloth does not cause this type of damage, which is due to the use of cleaning agents containing alcohol. Since your unit is second hand, it is likely that the previous owner used such cleaning agents, which caused the markings to weaken and eventually fade away as you cleaned.
We recommend you to contact your retailer (or the seller) regarding this problem.
We wish you a good day and remain at your disposal for any further information."
So Hercules is basically saying... it's your issue, not ours. Ok. Next.