deck a low eq pot p...

Notifications
Clear all

deck a low eq pot problem

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

ive had a hercules dj console mk4 since late last year.. and suddenly recently the low frequency eq knob has been giving me trouble. nothin wrong physically but its sending erratic midi signals so it never stays on a fixed value... when zerod it tends to jiggle slightly above zero.. and the condition gets worse the more i turn it to the left cutting the bass. has anyone else had similar trouble? is it a wiring issue? a faulty potentiometer? im finding this very irritating because i can no longer accurately control the low frequencies on deck a when doing an eq fade (which i do alot of with the lows) i have some small gigs coming up and this problem is a serious one to me, i can try work around it, but even if im not touching the knob at all its still giving erratic signals to the software causing the bass to wobble (and not in a good way!!!!)
please help asap!

Topic starter

hmmmm i'm really just hoping its a bit of a wonky connection cos i just tried pushing the knob in one direction while turning it and it seemed to function ALMOST properly.. no erratic motion of EQ knob on Virtual DJ (which obviously indicates an unstable MIDI signal being sent to it) and its definately not a software issue because the same problem occurs in Traktor. All other buttons/knobs/faders/jog wheels work fine, so i doubt its a connection problem with the USB cable. HELP! I really need my controller in good working order before I have to play a gig!

Topic starter

sorry for repeated postings.. but maybe this thread could be of use to other users.
I found the MIDI monitor program link under a help PDF on the hercules site

MIDI Monitor
http://obds.free.fr/midimon/

not sure if this is specific to the DJ console Mk4 or if it is a general MIDI monitoring program (if so i'll find this very useful in future with other MIDI controllers I use)
I ran it and checked what MIDI values the Low EQ knob was throwing out... (cc55) and it doesnt look promising
they're all over the show!
and as i stated in my previous post.. if i apply some sideways force to the knob as i turn it.. it gives accurate and correct MIDI data.. so i'm assuming theres something that has come loose.. or is touching inside the Controller.. or worse.. the potentiometer is faulty and may need to be replaced =[ any advice on the next steps i should be taking?

Good that you've found the way to test your MIDI controller.

Now if there is a hardware defect with the unit, you may want to try to have it replaced under warranty (which is of 2 years).

Topic starter

that might end up being of a headache than its worth really. I dont even know if i still have the original receipt etc... and if i do, it'll be back home in South Africa (I'm currently in Austria until the end of this month) =/ ... I'll see what I can do to fix the problem myself (yes yes I know I'm about to void the warranty =P) anyways... I've been having ideas of getting a different controller.. then gutting the Mk4 and my Korg nanokontrol and building them into a custom contoller/mixer Innocent If I do go through with it I'll share the results on here with you guys