SUBJECTS >FORUM UK/US> HARDWARE > BLIP BLIP BLIP – a cautionary tale of misery and frustration.
Back to the topics REPLY

BLIP BLIP BLIP – a cautionary tale of misery and frustration.

Karasu

3 Messages
Posted on 04/16/09 at 04:23:33
USA
  • DJ Console MK2
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®
  • Traktor®
   Sometime last year I found out about the RMX. I waited on buying it until I got a new laptop. (I didn't want to taint the new machine by installing the MKII and then RMX) In  October, I decided it was time and make the leap to a new laptop and upgrade to the RMX from the MKII.

So I got the laptop. A Lenovo T500 Centrino 2, 2.53Ghz dual core, a 7,200 rpm 160 Gb hd, 4 gigs of Ram, bla bla bla. I installed my software and the RMX. And everything worked beautifully. All was right with the world.

Then one fateful day in February I set up. I jacked in and powered up. As I was screwing around finishing some other things I decided to mellow into things with Covenant - Bullet. What? No no no... Am I hearing?

"Time is like a bull__ from behind
I run for __er just like you
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

It sounded like a warped record. blip blip blip

I immediately went to settings, and for over the next month+, I tested, researched, installed, uninstalled, and basically just tortured myself nightly and during the weekends to no avail. I spent a lot of time on this site following cures that worked for others. Systematically killing this, disabling that, I updated EVERYthing, I tried the RMX on my son's machine (it worked on HIIIIS), I downloaded Traktor (same problem), tweaked ASIO (oh oh that's it, nooooo), tried running music from external drive, I even contemplated scrapping the drive and going to Vista (HELL NO). I downloaded the latency checker, whatever process I killed, whatever thing I disabled, the number was around 9500 instead of below the magical 500 mark.

It got to the point where it was like, this is stupid. There is absolutely no reason I can't have any desktop picture I want. I mean it USED to work flawlessly. I have the juice. I've cleaned it down to smokin fast (compared to factor bloat speed), what the hell? I SHOULD be having no fing problem.

So I sit down Sunday, and start up again with the uninstalling updating thing. In so doing I whack too much and have to reinstall and such to be operational again. I'm going again, but then everything freezes. What is this freeze? I remember it did this when I was doing a remote meeting a few weeks back. I didn't have time to look into it this then as I was the presenter. But it came back both times after a minute. I was thinking GREEEAaat, another problem. Monday, I take off. I'm fixing this today, or my son gets another cool toy and I have to research another dj console instead of getting the new Novation SL MKII I've been eying.

So, duuuuhhh, I decide to look at the event viewer to see what was happening with the system. HHHmmmm what's this? "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7910S disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal". What is that all about. What are all these other error messages, hmmm, "the \device\CDRom0, is not ready for access yet." The drive is in place, but why is it spinning without anything in it? Ding ding ding, unplug dvd drive. The latency went from 9600 to 40.

O M F G, a bad dvd rom, the one angle I didn't check. All this time wasted, because of a bad damn drive. Why didn't I look in the event viewer to begin with?

I called Lenovo, and told them issues. I called them on Monday April 13th  at around noon, and a package was delivered before 10 on the 15th. And guess what? We are back to magical rainbows with sugar drop smiles. Everything is excellent. The machine is running great, the equipment is as well, and all is right with the world.

Except... what will I do now with all this free time?

Uhmmm duh, do what I was supposed to do to begin with.

I just wanted to share this with you. The damn drive screwed me, and over a month of searches went no where into this oddball realm.

On a side note, why does this and the Hercules sites go inaccessible for a weekend at a time? This is the second week I could not access it from ANY machine period. (As in every other week)

sedohr

26 Messages
Posted on 04/16/09 at 05:21:25
USA
Man, happy endings are great.  Laughing

The other caution one can take out of this story is to keep an eye on the system logs, even if nothing appears to be wrong.

Karasu

3 Messages
Posted on 04/16/09 at 05:31:32
USA
  • DJ Console MK2
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®
  • Traktor®
EXAAAAACTLY

I should have known better.

Jimmy B

250 Messages
Posted on 04/16/09 at 11:02:23
UK
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • VirtualDJ®
  • MixVibes Cross®

When I was setting up my Vista gig last year. I used the DPC latency checker and I noticed the my DVD drive was giving me high results, so as I won't ever use the DVD drive in my dedicated gig laptop I disabled it in Device Manager as well with a couple of other devices.

Then I did the latency check again and I get all green with the occasional yellow spike, but I can live with that Laughing

About your side note, about the site I've noticed that too mate. Sometimes it goes off for 3-4 days at a time. I think they need to change or get a new server IMO, lol

• MixVibes Forum Moderator and Beta Tester

Karasu

3 Messages
Posted on 04/16/09 at 18:23:51
USA
  • DJ Console MK2
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®
  • Traktor®
The new drive gives me no problems at all. If it does, I'll pop it out. I only use it rarely anyway, to rip cd's (yes I still like to have them in my hands to take up space rather than downloading everything), copy disks,  or installing something. 

As for the site, When this room/forum/site is down, so is the entire Hercules site. The first weekend I was almost in full blown panic thinking that Hercules had fallen wayside due to the economy. Every bookmark or google searched (cached) link I could find went no where. I was thinking, great, there goes another chunk of change for nowt. Luckily, it seems to come back up after the weekends. So either, they take it down for maintenance on the weekends sometimes, or they need to do what you said. If it is the former, then why the weekend? Wouldn't that be when most people have time to look up dj stuff?

Tico

12 Messages
Posted on 04/17/09 at 15:39:44
Costa...
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®
Very interesting topic. And also very good writer, :) I was suffering your pain along the story.

You see, i've been having problems with latency too (I've just lately learned that's what it is... or is it?)

I get this blip or "hickup" or sort of "lag" (as if you were streaming) every so often while playing music with VDJ+HerculesRmx.

Now, I've gotten to the point that I was going to just put away the Hercules and go back to pioneer cd decks and mixer.

Somewhere I read that I can change settings on VDJ for this, I did, and so far seems to be good. However tonight I have a gig. That will be the test of fire.

Usually a hickup here and there is not too bad when you're playing to a young crowd and it's electronica, since with the tricks of the trade you can hide it. NOT the case when you're playing Salsa and ballroom music to dancers who can hear every beat and tune in a melody.  It was embarrasing the first time it happened to me, the dancer came to me and told me if the cd was bad, I said, why? he told me I hear it "tagging" (dang it, he noticed!)

So, I was thinking I need to buy a faster laptop with stronger everything. But now I'm learning about latency... Am I on the right track?

That's one of my 2 basic problems with the RMX+vdj combo.

The other one is the gains, I can't ever tell where the gain is going to be when i load a new song. Is there a fix for this?
For instance when i use the playlist and autopilot, one song will be playing and the next one will come up really quiet, and then the next one will blow up people's ears, even when the volume set hasn't changed.

Anyaways, that might be another thread, I'll keep looking.

Jimmy B

250 Messages
Posted on 04/17/09 at 16:57:18
UK
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • VirtualDJ®
  • MixVibes Cross®

@Tico

If you concerned or want to check you latency of you machine.

Download this http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

It runs of your desktop, so no installing is neccerssary. Let it run, and what you are looking for is green and maybe yellow bars, if you get any red spikes that tells you that you may have a device or deviecs that are causing your machine to have a latency issue, and this is what causes the hiccups in the audio

9 times out of 10 it's usually your Wifi/Bluetooth adaptor. This is easy to sort out. All you have to do is to go into Windows Device Manager and disable this device. This normally cures it. Once the device is disable than run the checker again, and so on.

Also this might help you with your sound setup.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Hercules%20RMX%20Setup.html

I did it for the VirtualDJ wiki last year. These are the setting I run on, and I haven't had a problem since. I know every machine is different but it may help you too.

As for the gain problem in Automix, this is a known bug in VirtualDJ and I believe the team are working on it for the next update/revision.

But in the mean time you could try this. Go to the config>Options>Auto Gain, set to Auto+Remember (I have mine set on this), See if that helps a little.

If you need anymore help with the hicups, just give me a shout.

• MixVibes Forum Moderator and Beta Tester

DJ Phatso

4080 Messages
Posted on 04/17/09 at 17:02:25
Canada
  • DJControl Inpulse 200
  • DJControl Inpulse 300
  • DJControl Starlight
  • DJControl Instinct P8
  • P32 DJ
  • DJControl Jogvision
  • Universal DJ
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJControl Compact
  • DJControl Air+
  • DJControl Instinct
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ 4Set
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJ Control AIR
  • DJControl Glow
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • Djuced®
  • VirtualDJ®
  • Serato®
  • Traktor®
  • Ableton Live®
Audio latency is one important aspect, but a lot of other details of your computer can come into play. WE have this nice little guide online that explains changes that can be applied to improve the performance of your computer:

http://ts.hercules.com/faqs/eng/her_eng_00364.pdf

As for the Gain issues, here is an option in VDJ called Auto-Gain, that according to how it is set, behave differently with new song. Everything is explained in the VDJ user manual on p37.

The Phat one!

Hercules DJ Forum Team

Tico

12 Messages
Posted on 04/18/09 at 19:12:03
Costa...
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®

@Tico

If you concerned or want to check you latency of you machine.

Download this http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

It runs of your desktop, so no installing is neccerssary. Let it run, and what you are looking for is green and maybe yellow bars, if you get any red spikes that tells you that you may have a device or deviecs that are causing your machine to have a latency issue, and this is what causes the hiccups in the audio

9 times out of 10 it's usually your Wifi/Bluetooth adaptor. This is easy to sort out. All you have to do is to go into Windows Device Manager and disable this device. This normally cures it. Once the device is disable than run the checker again, and so on.

Also this might help you with your sound setup.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Hercules%20RMX%20Setup.html

I did it for the VirtualDJ wiki last year. These are the setting I run on, and I haven't had a problem since. I know every machine is different but it may help you too.

As for the gain problem in Automix, this is a known bug in VirtualDJ and I believe the team are working on it for the next update/revision.

But in the mean time you could try this. Go to the config>Options>Auto Gain, set to Auto+Remember (I have mine set on this), See if that helps a little.

If you need anymore help with the hicups, just give me a shout.

Thank you so much for this valuable info. I will work on the steps you gave me and will report back.

As for the gains, so far what I do is always turn the knob up and down a few times so it reaches zero and work my way up, but I can't use the 'automix' option since u never know what track is going to be super loud or super quiet. So, for now I use winamp when I want to chill and just leave a playlist at gigs.

Tico

12 Messages
Posted on 04/18/09 at 19:16:34
Costa...
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • VirtualDJ®
Audio latency is one important aspect, but a lot of other details of your computer can come into play. WE have this nice little guide online that explains changes that can be applied to improve the performance of your computer:

http://ts.hercules.com/faqs/eng/her_eng_00364.pdf

As for the Gain issues, here is an option in VDJ called Auto-Gain, that according to how it is set, behave differently with new song. Everything is explained in the VDJ user manual on p37.

I have a dual-core pentium @ 1.6 1.6 ghz, 2gigs ram, now that's not much but i know it's enough to run vdj and hercules.

I've already followed the instructions to make Vista go down to its bare essentials, I've removed all programs except for those few that I absolutely need.

As for the gains, I'm gonna give it another shot, but I've already done down those steps too.

Thanx for the links. :)