Total registered users : 41640 • Latest registered user : Mimmozzo
SUBJECTS > FORUM UK/US > [SOLVED] How do I configure Virtual DJ with Hercules RMX
Back to the topics REPLY

[SOLVED] How do I configure Virtual DJ with Hercules RMX

DJ Sammy

9 Messages
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 5:59:45 AM
USA
Equipment List:

2 x Powered PA XLR to 1/4" mic adapter
1 x Powered Sub XLR to 1/4" mic adapter
Hercules RMX
Laptop XP with Hercules software/driver updated.
Virtual DJ 7 pro
Mic connected to RMX
HeadPhone connected to RMX

Issue:
I am using the advance setting which appears to be the best place in configuring if i just know what im doing. I cannot get my headphones to work as the cue. I keep getting the master sound on the headphones.

Setup:
PA1 > Output 1
PA2 > Output 2
Sub > Output 3

I'm a little confused with how to properly setup virtual DJ settings.
I currently have it configured as follows:
Advanced Settings
Master Hercules RMX Output 1&2
Master Hercules RMX Output 1&2 - Noticed i have 2, but it seems to sound better..Not sure why.
Master Hercules RMX Output 5&6 - I'm not sure why this works since my sub is in Output 3 but somehow the sub works on this setting.
Headphone Hercules RMX output 1&2 - i get the same sound that is played on my speakers as the master.
Mic Hercules RMX Input 1&2

Also there is a check box for Mono Channel - which i don't have it checked but i noticed soon as its checked i get more options.

So i need help on how to properly use the output settings for my speakers and heaphone. Thanks guys in advance.D

DJ Sammy

DJ Phatso

3184 Messages
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 2:01:49 PM
Canada
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJControl Air+
  • DJControl Instinct
  • DJ Control AIR
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJ 4Set
  • DJ Console Mk4
  • DJ Control Mp3 e2
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • Djuced®
  • Traktor®
  • VirtualDJ®
You might want get out of Advanced mode and go back to the simpler configuration:

- Input : Microphone

- Output(s): Headphone  > Master Chan1/2 / Headphone Chan3/4

-Soundcard: DJ Console Rmx 
> the box APPLY EQ ON INPUT will be checked

Now, as for your speakers (PA), you didn't mention the brand and model, but I would venture to guess that you'll probably find in the documentation a schematic showing how to connect them all together, and then how use them with a standard stereo mixer. It will be the same setup you should use with the Rmx, to reflect the configuration selected above:

- The two cables coming from your PA shoud be connected to Output 1-2 of the Rmx

- Your headphone, to one of the dedicated outputs (which is also duplicated on Output 3-4 if ever you want to use monitors for previewing).

The Phat one!

Hercules DJ Forum Team

DJ Sammy

9 Messages
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 3:02:33 PM
USA
Thanks DJ Phatso, i'll try your settings. However you didn't cover my subwoofer, its currently connected to Output 3 on the RMX. I maybe confused but if i choose Headphone as Chan 3/4. Wouldn't that cause a confliq to my sub.

My speaker brand and model.
2 x Seismic Audio - PWS-15 Powered PA 15"
1 x Seismic Audio Enforcer II Powered PA 18" Subwoofer

I appreciate any thoughts provided.
DJ Sammy 

Maxdjack

1109 Messages
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 3:41:56 PM
Canada
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJControlWave
  • Djuced®
  • Traktor®
  • VirtualDJ®
  • MixVibes Cross®
  • DJay®
Hello Sammy,

1) I would set the VDJ audio as Phatso recommends :
- Inputs: either None, or Microphone (as you prefer: when set on None, the Microphone input by-passes VirtualDJ / when set on Microphone, the microphone signal goes through VirtualDJ software gain and effects : it is richer, but with more latency)
- Outputs: Headphones
Master: Chan 1&2 / Headphones: Chan 3&4
- Sound Card: DJConsole Rmx
Check Apply EQ on external inputs

2) Both the subwoofer and the speakers have a line output, so you can
a)  either connect the speakers on Rmx Line out 1 and 2, and connect the subwoofer to the Line out on one of the speakers (XLR output)
b) or connect the subwoofer to the Rmx Line out 1 or 2 jack plug, and connect the second speaker to the line output on the subwoofer.

Answering to technical questions with
- more technical details than needed is NEVER a problem,
- less technical details than needed is ALWAYS a problem

DJ Sammy

9 Messages
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 4:42:59 PM
USA
Maxdjack, great info.

So my fault on my setup is connecting the sub directly to Output 3, I should be connecting it  to one of the PA via XLR. (Daisy Chain)
Or connect 1 PA to Output 1 of RMX and sub to output 2 of RMX, and 2nd PA connect XLR to the Sub.

I wonder which sounds better, i will defintely try this soon as i finish my day job.lol

Thanks guys.. 

DJ Sammy

9 Messages
Posted on 2/23/2012 at 5:29:56 PM
USA
Thanks guys, this setup works as posted. I have both Powered PA connected to RMX Output 1 & 2 and I have my Powered Sub connected to one of the Powered PA XLR output.

You guys mentioned check Apply EQ on External inputs - weather I check or uncheck, i don't see a difference so what does this mean?

Also, since i am connecting from RMX Output 1 and 2 via 1/4" to XLR adapter into my Powered PA, should i connect it to the Line Input or Output XLR of my PA's? Not sure if this matters.

I do have adapters that converts 1/4" to XLR male and 1'4" to XLR female. Is it better balanced or unbalanced?

DJ Sammy

Maxdjack

1109 Messages
Posted on 2/24/2012 at 2:35:38 PM
Canada
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJControlWave
  • Djuced®
  • Traktor®
  • VirtualDJ®
  • MixVibes Cross®
  • DJay®
Hello Sammy,

1) Apply EQ on external inputs just makes sure you switch in ASIO (instead of WDM). It doesn't change the audio quality but it lets you select the buffer size (before starting VirtualDJ) in DJ Console Rmx control panel > Audio Mode = ASIO.

2) You should connect Rmx output 1 & 2 via 1/4" to XLR cable into the line Input XLR of your PA.

3) Rmx jack outputs are unbalanced, so you should set everything on unbalanced. If you use balanced adapters, it should work anyway as balanced inputs on PA systems normally automatically switch to unbalanced if the signal is detected as unbalanced.

Answering to technical questions with
- more technical details than needed is NEVER a problem,
- less technical details than needed is ALWAYS a problem

DJ Phatso

3184 Messages
Posted on 2/24/2012 at 3:00:46 PM
Canada
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJControl Air+
  • DJControl Instinct
  • DJ Control AIR
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJ 4Set
  • DJ Console Mk4
  • DJ Control Mp3 e2
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • Djuced®
  • Traktor®
  • VirtualDJ®
Checking the box Apply EQ on External inputs, as the name implies, will allow you to use the software EQ on input signal coming from an external source connected to the console (if any).

However, that is only on the surface. What that does is that VDJ actually uses the console in ASIO audio mode (and should always be used as far as I'm concerned). This mode is optimized for audio applications and allow you to tweak it to gain maximum performances.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

All the settings for ASIO are available in the DJ control panel and are only editable when not in use.

As for the connections:

- A good thing to keep in mind is the flow of things; Just like water comes out of the faucet and goes into the drain, the audio signal always goes from an Output to an Input.

- Balanced is always preferable, specially if your cables have to cover a long distance.

The Phat one!

Hercules DJ Forum Team

johneeee

5 Messages
Posted on 12/30/2012 at 2:11:43 AM
Mexico
hey phat one i need help my rmx 2 just got here and i have it and all but i lost the cd how do i get it to work on virtaul dj please help fustrated as fuck -.- 

DJ Phatso

3184 Messages
Posted on 1/1/2013 at 3:47:57 PM
Canada
  • DJConsole RMX2
  • DJControl Air+
  • DJControl Instinct
  • DJ Control AIR
  • DJ Console 4-Mx
  • DJ Console Rmx
  • DJ 4Set
  • DJ Console Mk4
  • DJ Control Mp3 e2
  • Deejay Trim 4&6
  • Djuced®
  • Traktor®
  • VirtualDJ®
@Johneeee

Is it better to start your own thread rather post on another that has nothing to do with your product (the Rmx and Rmx2 are two different products).

That being said, to install the Rmx2, simply use the drivers available from the support site:

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=17&fid= 62&pid=308&cid=1

As for VDJ, if you are using the PRO Full version, be sure to update to v7.3, which natively support the Rmx2.

If however you want to use the bundled version, simply register the serial number (which you'll on the label underneath the unit) on VDJ"S website, and you'll be able to download the installer file from the Download section.

www.virtualdj.com

The Phat one!

Hercules DJ Forum Team

DJ ABenz9ine

3 Messages
Posted on 6/8/2013 at 4:33:19 AM
USA
  • DJ Console Rmx
I have a setup similar to DJ Sammy, I have two speakers that I want the master output to come from, and a pair of headphones that I use for cuing.  Unfournnately, my speakers can't connect together because they are old and crappy.  I need to connect one to outpput 1-2 and the other to output 3-4.  I also don't understand why I would want to use outputs 3-4 for headphones when there are already two headphone jacks on the console.  Can someone help me?